Back to all topics

July 30, 2016

July 30, 2016

I have never really been a football fan, I have never supported a team, never really been able to take part in discussions about football, not because of any particular aversion to the game it just never really grabbed my interest. That said, I often enjoy watching the highlights of international games providing it isn't on for too long! In 1966 I was an 18 year old fresh faced 10H trooper stationed in York Barracks Muenster. Muenster in those days was a staunchly conservative catholic city, it barely tolerated the 6 or so British barracks it hosted which were all, perhaps not unnaturally, jam packed with very loyal, mainly English football supporters. The outcome of the 66 World Cup us now enshrined in the annals of footballing history. In Muenster, I recall, the outcome was met with unrestrained and very drunken joy by the Brits and the po faced Germans in every pub and club in that city that day told its own tale. I seem to recall a very large painted 3-0 sign appearing on the main road that ran along the frontage of York Barracks sometime in the early hours of the morning after the great event, only the Brits realised its significance and appreciated its subtlety or rather lack of!! But, all of this post hitherto serves only as a  preamble to my actual point. Leaving aside for a moment the brilliance of us winning the World Cup that year, yesterday and today's extensive media coverage of its 50th anniversary reminded me of how sad it is that we are condemned to bask in the footballing glories of a half century ago. Even as a non footballing fanatic myself I do always support the national team and I do have a huge pride in our achievements. I just wish I had something more modern, more latter day, more recent to celebrate rather than the grainy pictures of a glorious moment of half a century ago.

July 30, 2016

July 30, 2016

Football (& society in general) has changed dramatically since those glorious 60's, when our football and music ruled the world ! The night before the Final Alf Ramsey took the players to the local cinema, and on the very morning of the game, the players strolled around London in small groups - can you imagine any of that happening today !?! On that great day 50 years ago I was a very young L/Cpl tank commander (on Cents) in Larzac, Southern France, where we'd been on exercise for weeks during which I found out just how difficult it was to map read closed down wearing NBC kit ! Anyway, we came back into camp early (joy oh joy !) in order to watch the game, with most of the Regiment squeezing into the local taverna just outside the camp gates to watch their TV.  Money was tight, so we all clubbed together to buy bottles of cheap French plonk - I'm sure it was labeled "Sarsons", but with us winning no one cared, although it was revolting stuff to drink. At the end, with us winning 4-2, and those immortal words "They think it's all over - it is now !!" I dashed outside looking desperately for a tattoo artist ( like the caravan one at the  Snakepit in Hohne) - I so wanted a full size Union Flag tattooed onto my chest - thank God there wasn't an "artist" there ! Just shows what drunken patriotism can do eh !?! John (JKW)

July 30, 2016

July 30, 2016

I had a move to RAC Trng Regt the day before, moving from Detmold to Catterick, so I was panicing from the minute I left the Barracks. Caught the plane OK, got to UK, left airport, next day got train to Darlington and then duty driver just in time to Catterick CPLs Mess for the match with about 10 minutes to go. Great match, full of memories which are still vivid in my mind, never to be forgotten. Nobby Styles with no front teeth, grinning to the cameras, Geoff Hurst hitting three, Bobby Moore running all over the place.... the best England game against anybody, hard to beat. If only the present players get the same chance to repeat the win... and then the guys who saw me arrive then asked who I was!!! They never asked until the end of the match...Tom

July 30, 2016

July 30, 2016

And then when QOH then 1 RTR took over, the scousers in 1 RTR radio wing asked if I would play for their Radio Wing team, 1 match , some months later, which I did, but the driver I had for radio exercises took one rush at me as I passed the ball, landed on my right shin, broke both bones, Mil Hosp, then Chester Rehab, back to 3DG, within 9 months,,, but the Cup win was worth it all. We won the Cup!!!! Tom

July 31, 2016

July 31, 2016

I mistaking 1966 for 1066 mmmmmm my memories like Johns was Larzac,memory sitting in the bar watching Bobby Charlton destroying the French without any joy ( too many French squadies) then the day of the final on the autobahn going north with the score on the side of the admin 3 tonner ,it took weeks to clean the score off that wagon .....is it 50 years ???? Well I suppose "it's all over now "

1 Next

Total members: 261
Total posts: 4159