Back to all topics

2017 by an ex 14/20 KH
May 19, 2016

2017 by an ex 14/20 KH

May 19, 2016

Don't worry Bob the RAC and our Chally 2's will hold him back, hang on we now only have one regiment of Chally 2's in Germany, the QRH...........well done DC we are more vulnerable now than we were in 1939.

May 19, 2016

2017 by an ex 14/20 KH

May 19, 2016

The only statement I can make is "God Help Us" cos nobody else will, and Europe will become a wilderness if this scenario comes to fruition. Doubt if I will reach 100 years old now....

May 19, 2016

2017 by an ex 14/20 KH

May 19, 2016

Bob; the fact of the matter is; no one can predict what Putin is likely to do, he is simply unfathomable. That said, he perceives, and rightly so, that the US has lost its appetite for war and with that its global peace keeping role. Add into the equation  a European Union in disarray, a totally corrupt Ukrainian leadership, a UK standing army at its smallest since records began, the west preoccupied with the global Muslim terrorist threat, and what's to stop him! Putin's expansionist plans for the Baltic states has long been an open secret.  Defence analysts have said for some time that Putin is planning a piece meal offensive in the Baltic, rather like Hitler did with Poland et al and we all know he was allowed to get away with invading several countries before we saw the light and war was declared on him. Now add into the mix, a potential Donald J Trump as the US president and the potential for a massive war is frighteningly close!!

May 19, 2016

2017 by an ex 14/20 KH

May 19, 2016

Trump as President ! A scary thought, & as Dave F rightly says, quite likely to bring us close to WW3. Our Armed Forces are so limited in strength & resources now that our ONLY deterrent to it happening is the nuclear weapons on Trident subs, which Comrade Corbyn is against of course. IMO, the likely scenario is for Putin to further expand his empire bit by bit, testing the resolve of NATO to intervene, which it wont, so that over time he'll make Russia as big & powerful as the old USSR was, and then..... We in the meantime, will be toothless, giving plenty of rhetoric but unable to influence events, basically rolling over to Russia's expansionism, which will  stop short of directly threatening any nuclear equipped power. John (JKW)

May 20, 2016

2017 by an ex 14/20 KH

May 20, 2016

I think the guy Bob is talking about is General Sir Richard Shirreff. He has a history of continuous criticism of defence cuts and he gave frequent warnings that the decimation of our forces would have grave consequences when the balloon goes up. At one time Hammond, who was the Defence secretary at the time, tried to get him "disciplined." Shirreff was alone amongst the top brass at the time who spoke openly about his concerns at what the Tories were doing to the Armed forces.He has just launched a book entitled "2017 war With Russia" ergo the recent media attention given to him, undoubtedly stirred up by his publishers. the MOD are of course rubbishing his concerns as a blatant PR sell of his new book. I always find it odd that the MOD can be so dismissive of such high ranking officers, after all THEY, the MOD, thought highly enough of these guys to promote them to the highest military ranks in the first place!! So; they were good enough and trustworthy enough to reach the pinnacle of the military career ladder and were feted while they toed the line but as soon as they spoke out against what they believed to be dangerous cuts they became ill informed or simply wrong in their judgement. It really inspires me to have faith in it all. NOT!!

May 20, 2016

2017 by an ex 14/20 KH

May 20, 2016

Yes David ,Dicky Shirreff was my troop leader back in the early 80's then was Adj when I went to the DLOY. Your right on the MOD think ,yes your the best thing since sliced bread BUT don't rock the boat and have a thought outside the box , you toe the party line BUT have a different observation mmmmm. This is also what the government are doing with the "Leave" Tories ,getting personnel but no facts , as Dicky stated this is scenario that could happen,as the politicians in the the 30's never thought we could do a re-run of 14/18 but we did only bigger !!!

May 20, 2016

2017 by an ex 14/20 KH

May 20, 2016

Next stop WW3....

Total members: 261
Total posts: 4155