Back to all topics

2nd December 1962
May 26, 2017

2nd December 1962

May 26, 2017

Sandy Fowler has published a photograph of RSM Lee grave from Hannover Germany on Facebook.I can remember joining the Regiment a few months after Him being killed in an RTA outside the tank park gates on a crash out,we did the first crash out after this incident with Hank Defraine as RSM . For a very young soldier I was apprehensive and a bit scared to think the RSM lost his life on a crash out . To think it's nearly 55 years since then , some of you guys served under/ with Him in happier days. There is one guy I served with who's buried in Hannover,that's Stan Stamper again killed in an RTA just as we moved from Munster to Hereford we had a few good nights in the Corporals mess together before he died. Stan had a good farewell from the Regiment.

May 26, 2017

2nd December 1962

May 26, 2017

I remember Stan Stamper's accident. I recall, unless I am totally befuddled, we were en route down south(?) in convoy when his Saladin overturned down a grass bank. I seem to recall we ( C Squadron) stopped on the autobahn hard shoulder while Wilbur Gaskin sped off in a Mk 1 Ferret to help out. Stan was in  a different Squadron ahead of us and I think he was caught half in/half out of the turret and suffered appalling injuries. I remember him as a really great guy, very sad accident, we were all deeply affected afterwards. I hope my memory isn't playing tricks with me!!!

May 26, 2017

2nd December 1962

May 26, 2017

RSM Lee was killed directing the traffic outside the gates I was told, and although I hadn't joined the Regiment then, was made well aware of the accident. Stan Stamper I can remember, another sad loss to our Regimental "family". To lighten things up a little, Wilbur Gaskin was mentioned by Bob R :  not long after getting my 3rd stripe, aged 21 & 17 days, I went to my first Sgts Mess Christmas Draw, nervous in the extreme. No one had spoken to me about Mess protocol (a lesson tucked away for future use) , and climbing the superb staircase in The Dale Mess in Chester I passed WO2 Gaskin on the way - "Evening Sir" I said, to be informed that only the RSM was  referred to as "Sir" in the Mess - "Oh sorry Wilbur" I replied - smoke billowed from WO2 Gaskin's ears - how was I to know it wasn't his real name !?! To further compound my embarrassment, "John Webster" was called to receive his Draw prize - I picked my way through the crowded tables, offered my ticket, only to be told it was the OTHER John Webster ( the one known as "Block Jobs") who had won - cue a very red faced JKW returning to the table, empty handed ! John (JKW)

May 26, 2017

2nd December 1962

May 26, 2017

David Stan was killed in his private car,at the time of our move from Munster to Hereford some guys including myself and Stan had MQ's in Munster but were waiting MQ's in Hereford so we drove up daily. Stan had a Ford Taunus 17m I remember we got there a few minutes after the accident he'd turned his left hooker into right hand drive at the time I was carrying Paul Hulse , I didn't realise there was so much blood in a human . The accident on the autobahn,was Bob Lewis driving a Saladin hit by another car pushing his vehicle down the bank ,turning over at the bottom ,that poor lad was L/cpl Lee was crushed by the machine gun on the turret. Major Knotley was HQ Sqn Ldr and I was his dvr/op so we got to the scene soon after the accident and stayed till our guys were cas evac off . 2 very good guys taken early R I P

May 27, 2017

2nd December 1962

May 27, 2017

Thanks Bob I guess my memory is failing me, I actually do remember both incidents now. I was convinced it was Stan in the autobahn accident, it clearly wasn't, strange how memories get muddled at times, well mine obviously!!  David.

May 27, 2017

2nd December 1962

May 27, 2017

David memories are a funny thing ,when you consider an incident happening over 55 years ago and others happening 48 years or so unless you were involved personally in the latter 2 things are fuzzy. Now we're all nearing 70'ish or so I've called my kids by the pets name or vicky verky, but don't tell the wife .

May 28, 2017

2nd December 1962

May 28, 2017

just to put the record straight guys it was L/CPL DAVID GILL who was killed in the accident. TPR ROBERT LEE was the loader/operator, I would not have been driving that Saladin but Davids driver was taken sick, back in camp, very distressing for all concerned, even now.

May 28, 2017

2nd December 1962

May 28, 2017

sorry about that guys, both  Stan and David  and myself were I    " A " Sqn at the time, I did attend Stans  funeral, unfortunately I unable to attend David,s and could not give my condolences to his wife and children as they had been repatriated to UK, powers that be refused any information to addresses for contact.

May 28, 2017

2nd December 1962

May 28, 2017

Thanks for the clarification Bob, I absolutely do remember C  Squadron pulling over on the autobahn and hearing the news everything else obviously got muddled up in the passage of time. I also remember how distressing it was for everyone and I bet it still is for those involved, like yourself.

May 29, 2017

2nd December 1962

May 29, 2017

Without being frivolous Bob I'm sorry I got the names mixed up . The passage of time sorry

May 29, 2017

2nd December 1962

May 29, 2017

no recriminations for any one gents, it is as  we say old father time catches us all up. keep looking up, and try to keep smiling

1 Next

Total members: 261
Total posts: 4159