Back to all topics

F & C 2008
May 4, 2015

F & C 2008

May 4, 2015

Hi All

I wish to get hold of  copy of the 2008 Feather and Carbine,if anyone can help I would be most grateful

Gaz

May 4, 2015

F & C 2008

May 4, 2015

Gaz, If you really mean Eagle and Carbine, I have one here. Do you want it permanently, or just to check something? Tom

May 4, 2015

F & C 2008

May 4, 2015

Hi Tom Thanks for that yes must be Eagle now I guess, I am trying to get a copy of Dave Gardners obitury which Ive never seen his son Simon tells me its on page 149 of the 2008 edition if you could send me a copy I would be very grateful

May 4, 2015

F & C 2008

May 4, 2015

Gaz, send me your address and I will copy the item and post it asap. We apparently lost another Carb from N. Wales the other day but no details, Our secretarty is looking in to it. Will keep you informed if you want?

May 4, 2015

F & C 2008

May 4, 2015

Gaz, for ease and safety, call my mobile with your address.   07850 647940.   That way we should avoid the loonies in society....

May 5, 2015

F & C 2008

May 5, 2015

Gary, Mistake on my number, should be 07950 647940. Too much coffee intake I presume.....!!!!!

May 7, 2015

F & C 2008

May 7, 2015

Hi Tom Thanks so much for Dave's obituary. Sadly I found it very dissapointing. he served 11 yrs with 3DG and 22 with RSDG and only gets the same write up as in his local paper, I guess the Regt have no time for old Carbs!!!!

May 7, 2015

F & C 2008

May 7, 2015

That is the way we have been shoved aside by a load of mounted Infantry, which is what Dragoons really were when first raised Gaz! I doubt if the Royal Scots Greys WANTED the amalgamation any more than we in 3DG did, we are after all only the pawns in the grand nature of things. Dragoon Guards were HEAVY cavalry, first raised as HORSE, not donkey wallopers!! Rather like trying to shove a Battleship into a mini submarine...but in this case, the mini sub won. What will happen if the UK allow or even force Scotland to leave the UK? Will the Scots be able to protect themselves, without Nuclear Subs and Trident missiles???? Or are they willing to go back to throwing rocks over the wall? And who will pay for their Armed Forces?  If they are not able to pay for such a luxury from their privy purse, the rest of UK will not give them a penny. "Hard times" come to mind. Our predecessors must be going crazy seeing what idiots have done to 3DG, and Scots Greys, after all the great service they have both given for well over 250 years. I am not criticising the serving Scots in the UK Armed Forces, just their deluded people running Scotland. Our servicemen of each country serving in UK Armed Forces deserve only our respect, praise and gratitude for all they do in our name.

May 7, 2015

F & C 2008

May 7, 2015

I entirely agree Tom, for me they(the scots) can have their independance and see how they get on, but politics is a mess in all aspects.

May 11, 2015

F & C 2008

May 11, 2015

Can I just point out that the responsibility for submitting articles for publication in the regimental magazine lies with Branch Secretaries.   This includes Obituaries.  HHQ remind Branches every year of the deadline date and it is up to them to procure and submit such articles.  Indeed, HHQ are on record in pointing out to Branches how few obituaries are actually submitted.  So instead of casting doubt upon HHQ Scots DG  or the Regiment, you should seek answers closer to home.  I would also defend my fellow Branch Secretaries because I know from my own experience that, unless I wrote it myself, it would not happen.  Dave Gardner at least got a mention in the magazine, I can think of a few others who didn't even get a line in print (including sadly some from my own branch).

May 12, 2015

F & C 2008

May 12, 2015

The Regimental Magazine is never going to include all "Obits" there simply wouldn't be space. Like most publications it usually prints Obits for those who are well known, are long serving, have done something notable et al.  Trooper is wholly correct in his assertion apropos the Magazine editor relying entirely on the various branches to submit obituaries. As an erstwhile Asst Magazine Editor and frequent contributor (of many years ago!!) I know the Editor has editorial control and will often "prune" articles, including obituaries, dependent on the number of entries and the resultant space. It's partly a publication cost issue but, truth be told, also often dependent on who the editor is. I can think of so many notable ex comrades who failed to appear in the obit pages of Eagle and Carbine of both former regiments. Apropos Dave Gardner, he was my first Tp Ldr when I joined 3DG in Muenster, I was his saladin driver and he was a totally  brilliant guy in every respect. We went on to become really good mates and he was, for some years, my mentor. It IS always sad when really long serving, totally loyal, comrades pass away almost unnoticed but it is beholden on those of us who survive them to honour their memory and friendship AND to ensure their passing doesn't go unrecorded. Just my opinion!!

May 12, 2015

F & C 2008

May 12, 2015

I do not understand why we in the several Branches of the association are, from notes above here, obviously not supposed to add obituaries in our regimental website for members of our named Branch, (and other Branches, too) so since I and others are not on the list of "persons allowed to report the passing of the individual Branch members", how are we to notify the Branch membership about the passing of a friend and comrade we would have known for many years?? Or are you only discussing notifying Home HQ, (for obvious reasons of record keeping), and not Branch members on our own website? Clarification PLEASE...      

May 12, 2015

F & C 2008

May 12, 2015

By the by, I am only asking for clarification, and NOT accusing anyone, so I hope nobody is getting hot under the collar, that is NOT my intention. So I ask the question, as follows: Who IS allowed to tell the whole regimental family, both serving and ex- serving members of branches, and can we in Branches notify ALL  members of every branch of the passing of our old comrades via the website or is that now forbidden?.  ERGO, how DO we rally member attendance at funerals as marks of respect?

May 12, 2015

F & C 2008

May 12, 2015

Tom,  I think you should look again at the response by Dave Fullard and I to Gaz Rathkes original complaint about obituaries.  There is no mention by either of us about the regimental website which, is of course, open to anyone to submit articles.  There is no such thing as a "person allowed to report etc", as Dave stated, it is up to anyone who was a close friend of the deceased to ensure that their passing does not go unnoticed by either requesting the Branch Secretary to submit a notice or by doing so themselves.  I can tell you from experience that it rarely happens unless the Branch Secretary takes it upon himself.

May 12, 2015

F & C 2008

May 12, 2015

I HAVE LOOKED again, several times. and in my opinion, I believe Gaz is right, Dave Gardner was a special member of both regiments, and his obituary WAS short, non commital and in no way showing the respect which he so richly deserved. I imagine that if he had been a high ranking officer way above any regimental rank, things would have been different, as is so often the case, and not only in our sphere of things. Dave was a very fine, well respected member and truly worthy of  a more informative and respectful  obituary than the few lines he got. Also, on one hand HHQ are asking for more Obituary notices ( ie lack thereof, see notes earlier on this item), and then telling the world that they can not publish all obituaries for all members for space and cost reasons, so why did they tell us that they were getting so few obituaries from Branch secretaries? They can not have it both ways. And I still agree with Gaz Rathke on this item, and will never be convinced otherwise. The Carabiniers magazine, Feather and Carbine managed to give many more obits than there seems to be presented these days, so you can not have it both ways. Nuff said.

May 14, 2015

F & C 2008

May 14, 2015

I joined the 3DG with Dave Gardner and know only too well how  well he served both regiments for 33 years, he certainly deserved more than he received in his obituary,( written by his local paper), someone in the Regiment could surely have written something about him. Thanks for your strong support Tom but sadly nothing can be done now we old Carbs are obviously forgotten and count for less.The Obit for Dave was submitted and published so the Regt knew of his passing and could have added the Regt's comments, they did not even correct his name spelling, Gardner and Gardiner. The former is correct GARDNER. C'est La Vie. they did not even mention his rank WO 1. May my dearest old mate be resting in peace and not be aware of how his Regiment has ignored his service.

1 2 Next

Total members: 261
Total posts: 4159