Back to all topics

December 16, 2021

December 16, 2021

Well it has been a year like no other in my lifetime. The prevailing characteristic of the year has undoubtedly been Covid. We started the year with it and we are ending the same year with it once more.

My personal life in 2021 has been a rollercoaster of highs and lows with the latter sometimes gaining the upper hand……for a while. I’m not going to bore you with my illness again lol I am currently rudely well and feeling very positive, what will be will be!
One thing I have come to realise is the value of friends. By that I mean true friends, those who are there when the chips are down, those who are there when we really need them. By choice I have few friends, I prefer it that way, few friends but trusted ones.

This site has been one of those trusted friends. We ‘site stalwarts’ are few but even in the dark days of my chemo treatment I found it cathartic to ‘talk’ to you guys about things going on. John’s messages to me and his support along with the occasional calls from Freddy were particularly welcome. Freddy and I very recently took a telephone ‘walk’ down memory lane together.
I am also  acutely aware that Veronika and I were not alone in facing a tough year.  Freddy of course kept the site going throughout his wife’s long illness and very sad passing this last year. I have never met Freddy but he is a kindred spirit and we are so lucky to have him as a friend and site administrator. With a bit of luck I might get to meet him next year. Others among us have experienced tough battles as well, I sincerely wish Bob’s wife Kay every good fortune and continued good health as she treads a similar path to my own, Kay is the epitome of a tough and resilient army wife and I so admire her strength of character. John and Carole have also had their ups and downs health-wise and, like us all, have not allowed matters to get them down. Mick seems to be going strong, I saw a picture of him recently and he seems not to have changed at all, he is a welcome addition to our small but select fold lol.

My youngest granddaughter just popped in. ‘I’m on my way to see an autistic child at home ( she is a school nurse) need a pee gramps and I have forgotten my bank card for lunch, oh have you any paracetamol I have a headache’.  £10, a bottle of Drench, a packet of paracetamol and a handful of sweets from the bonbon dish later and she’s off! Our granddaughters and their children are the mainstay of our lives and we are so lucky to have them,  we have the great grand kids when their parents are stuck for childcare and love it……..for a while lol. I had forgotten how exhausting looking after 2 year olds can be, especially  the twins, nicknamed Ronnie and Reggie aka The Kray Twins!

Back to my post. I really just wanted to say thank you to you guys for all your support and friendship this past year. I wish you and your families a wonderful Christmas together and a happy and healthy New Year. I fear Covid will impact on us all again soon but we will not let it get us down and we will continue to share our thoughts and experiences with each other throughout the next year and beyond.
Stay safe and healthy everyone, best wishes from us both as ever D.

December 16, 2021

December 16, 2021

David you do have a way with words but I for one am most grateful for your kindness and support over the past year. We have all reached an age when we are losing family and friends and it is the strength of  our bonds with the past that reminds us we are not alone. My friend and erstwhile colleague Tim Spenlove-Brown died last week which reminds us all that we must make the best of the time we have left. Thanks again David and Carpe Diem! Freddy

December 16, 2021

December 16, 2021

Freddy, thank you for your kind words. How sad that Tim passed away, we were talking about him only a few days before that when you last rang me. Stay safe old friend I hope to see you sometime next year. D.

December 17, 2021

December 17, 2021

December 17 th was the birthday of Pete Bloor and advertised on FB ,He would have been 79 years old. We ,the guys who regularly monitor this site seen a record of His death back in August this year . Yes 2021has been a real pain in the ass ,with covid ,then when you have friends,life long friends like Pete ,Keith to name just 2 who you’ve known for more than half a century pass in the last couple of months it gets personal. Why well Pete and family were my neighbour in Osnabruck ( Belm) for 3 years and His kids and mine were joined at the hip till I went off to the 14/20 KH and He demobbed. Then there’s Keith we were both medics and He replaced me in Netheravon in 73 before He left the army in 76 to work for the NHS ,but we met in Chester for the reunions had our position at the bar for the night . So if this site wasn’t set up as is ,we wouldn’t have known of our friends passing due us living nation wide etc. Yes 2021 will go down as a real pain ,gotta think positive though , you guys have a great MERRY CHRISTMAS and a safe NEW YEAR.

December 17, 2021

December 17, 2021

Pete Bloor was a great guy. When I transferred to 3DG as they arrived in Muenster, Pete was a  Cpl me a lowly Tpr. Pete befriended me and gave me a much needed insight into my new regiment, the personalities, people to be wary of et al. I had some great sessions with him in the local “Gasthaueser” which I of course knew better than him lol. His lovely wife, (I have sadly forgotten her name) befriended Veronika and took her under her wing while we were adjusting to our new regiment. I was greatly saddened at his death. Colin Bithell, another good friend of mine, is also no longer with us. As Freddy says, we are at an age now where we are losing friends and family and as sad as it is it’s part and parcel of life’s never ending cycle of inevitability.   As Omicron continues its rampage across the country it looks like the year will end no better than it began. It would be easy to succumb to depression were we not made of sterner stuff. We sensible  ones are triple jabbed and flu vaccinated so we should be ok if we are careful. The site has been one of my mainstays this past year, a comforting source of normality in what has otherwise been an abnormal period of my life. Long may it continue and long may we stalwarts continue to thrive as contributors, mentors and friends. Merry Christmas to one and all, I wish you all good fortune, good health and much happiness. D.    

December 31, 2021

December 31, 2021

December 31st 2021 all done ,the year of COVID now at its end ( thank feck) .Thinking back to all the great  mates that have passed onto pastures new .R I P . We had our family over here for Christmas,  surprise on how they’ve grown since last scene in person,or is it we’re getting old ,it was also on teaching on our phones ,TikTok etc ( Kay’s got it but me a no no ) . What’s the optimism for 2022 ,good bad ?? Me well Disney Florida booked for Feb/March with our oldest granddaughter. Kay’s got her Chemotherapy starting in January,just hoping it’s as good as mine 12 years ago , I don’t mind living on a menu of PILLS for the next decade or 2 , pill popping is now a schedule like dare I say getting out of bed . Whatever comes in 2022 you who reading this keep safe and healthy. Happy New Year.

December 31, 2021

December 31, 2021

Looking at the latest Omicron data in today’s DT I think the year of COVID might be just beginning! 189,000 new daily cases. The Omicron mutant strain is less severe than Delta but far more contagious. Hospital admissions are beginning to rise exponentially and ‘new’ Nightingale Wards are being opened. The previous multi £million Nightingale Wards were closed having been barely used, mainly because there was no staff to work in them! What ‘s different now? Meanwhile there is a shortage of both PCR AND LFTs. PCRs are being rationed to essential workers. Optimism for 2022? I AM optimistic. My life is a merry go round of CT to CT. CT and good news equates to another 6 months of hope and positivity albeit it is what it is and I refuse to let it gnaw away at me. I am ‘down’ to 17 pills a day lol, it’s all shake, rattle and roll these days! But life is good, a thousand plagues on Covid ( bit of a pun there) and 10 thousand plagues on the EU, our friend in Germany has tried 3 times to post a small parcel to us and had it returned each time. Meanwhile, Boris has been criticised but cleared of breaching parliamentary rules apropos the decorating of No 10. The Jocks are apparently invading us tonight to celebrate New Year as restrictions in Scotland have put paid to Hogmanay there and Wales is closed per se! Maxwell won’t see the light of day again and Prince Andrew is likely quaking in his boots after the victims attorney claimed on TV they are coming after more culprits! But life is still good. We have an adequate supply of LFTs. A holiday home where we can escape to. THE most adorable great grand children, loving and very supportive grandchildren, a small but supportive and like minded group of friends AND you guys! What’s not to like about life lol. V and I wish Freddy, John, Bob, Mick and Cliff and your families, a really great new year, stay safe, stay healthy, stay happy. Best wishes D.

December 31, 2021

December 31, 2021

Being totally fed up hearing Sky & the BBC dwelling on Covid's poor results and seeming to glory in giving us the bad news, I've  taken to watching Sky channel 508 on occasion - what a refreshing change ! Tonight they told just how bad the EU countries, especially  France, Germany and Italy, are coping in comparison to the UK ( far greater problems  than us), also highlighting  how successful Brexit has been for the island of Ireland - exports from the North to the South up by 60 odd %, imports from South to North up by 40 odd % so trade there is functioning well enough. The report also interviewed several people who all thought  that Brexit was fine - Sky & the Beeb would still be searching for someone, ANY ONE, to run down Brexit !!! Anyway, this is my last moan for the year , so I'll  close  by wishing you all a very Happy New Year with the fervent hope its a happy and healthy one too. Until next year then,  let's all just keep on pill popping lol ! John (JKW)

January 1, 2022

January 1, 2022

2022 John try 515 GB news ,compared to the Brussels Broadcasting Corporation and SKY they have at least try and report UK success compared to the EU fight on Covid etc and they are more critical on the political agenda in Scotland/Wales and NI oh and London.( Kahn)

1 Next

Total members: 282
Total posts: 7533